Thursday 16 February 2012

Day 11 - Honeysuckle Rocks to Gundagai

Up early this morning. I needed to get to Canberra to have my tyre replaced and get back on track. I also heard dogs howling somewhere close to my camp during the night and couldn't get back to sleep after that so i was on the road by about 8 and headed for Canberra. I used my phone to find all the local bike shops were in Fishwick. I had no idea how to get there and was just trying to sort out the road map function on my GPS when a ute rolled past with 'Canberra Motorcycle Centre' plastered up the side of it. It was 8.40 so i figured he was on his way to work and tailgated him all the way. They were really helpful and done my job for me straight away and even let me clean and re-oil my air filter.
I made my way back out of Canberra without incident and headed over the Brindabella ranges to Wee Jasper. I found some excellent dirt roads through here with lots of hairpin turns and gave my shiny new tyre a good workout.


Wee Jasper is a strange place. it's at the southern end of Burrinjuck dam but other than that it's in the middle of nowhere. The only thing there is a pub/general store which is a converted stable. The lady publican/shop keeper is a bit of a character as well.

Somewhere out there i met up with another cool lizard who wasn't keen on photos




More dirt roads now and headed for Tumut and then Gundagai. I was almost at Tumut when i seen a promising dirt road with signs for Gundagai so i instantly decided to bypass Tumut and take the road less travelled.
I stopped in Gundagai and got the customary bakery pie and sat under a tree in the park to cool off and take a break.


There was a storm coming in so i fueled up and headed north west on some back country tar roads with a fair idea of where i was going. After about 40 km i realised that i was in the wrong place and went round in circles for about an hour and still no idea which way to head. By now the storm had caught up and i'd had enough so i hit the road back to Gundagai, straight into the storm.
The rain was very heavy but the wind was insane! One big gust moved the bike sideways about 3 metres and onto the wrong side of the road. Scary stuff! I throttled off and crept into town, soggy but still alive and into a pub for the night. I'll try and work out another route for tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're loving all the winding roads you are finding. Tell the wind to back off. Stay safe. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy! That impressive reflective shot on the hairpin bend is a real winner! Great work and well done! I have actually managed to see The Dog on the Tucker Box a couple of times, so feel as though it is familiar territory... Gladys, Western Australia...

    ReplyDelete