Friday 17 February 2012

Day 13 - Gundagai to Bathurst

After not coming up with much of a plan as to an alternate route, I resigned myself to the fact that i would be on  the main roads a fair bit today. I find highways incredibly boring to ride on. My bike is set up for dirt and isn't at home buzzing away at 110 km/h. It vibrates at this speed and after 45 minutes or so, my throttle hand and back side are both numb. All good reasons to avoid highways!
So i plugged in my headphones and set off up the Hume to Yass and then up the Lachlan Valley way intending to go to Cowra. Nothing much very interesting out here. No mountains, just rolling hills and sheep pasture.
I did find a detour here and a bit of gravel and headed out to Frogmore where i paused to watch a trio of Wedge tailed eagles hunting and even some proper hills at Wyangala Dam 
There had been heavy cloud on the horizon all day and i was due for a soaking. Sure enough i hit heavy rain just in time to coincide with me reaching the Mid Western Highway, heading for Bathurst.
I stopped briefly in Blayney to see a wind farm. i would have liked to stop and take a look about and some photos but due to the weather being so rubbish i decided that they were just glorified windmills and moved on.
The rain had eased by the time i hit Bathurst and i went and done a lap of Mount Panorama. 


It's an amazing track. Very steep in places and some very tight corners. Seeing the race on television doesn't really do it justice. This is the view from the top of the mountain at Skyline. I've stitched together 4 photos here. It is Mount Panorama after all......



I then headed into Bathurst to find a caravan park or campground. There are no National parks or even any bush around here, just sheep paddocks. I ended up at the showground which is nothing special but i wanted to get setup before the rain set in again so wasn't about to be too choosey.
Into the dirt again Tomorrow. I'm riding the Bridal Track to Hill End tomorrow, which is another well known track among adventure riders and then onto Gardens Of Stone National Park which i'm also looking forward to.
I apologise for the lack of photos today. With the rain and relatively boring countryside there just wasnt much worth photographing. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy! Your panorama of Mount Panamora looks great and it is a memorable achievement for you to do a lap on this famous circuit... Gladys, Western Australia...

    ReplyDelete