Tuesday 14 February 2012

Day 10 - Snowy River to Geehi Flat

Had a bit of a sleep in this morning. I was pretty worn out from the previous days travels and needed a good rest. The moment i got up the flies were all over me.(I forgot to mention the flies yesterday. Snowy Mountain flies are among the worst i've ever seen.)I packed up and was on the road by about 10. The plan was to make it to Geehi flat to camp and hopefully catch some trout.
The Snowy River. Only shadow of it's former self but still beautiful.

I continued on the Barry way to Jindabyne. The 40 km of winding gravel road was a great way to start my day although i did manage to overheat my rear brake which slowed things down a bit. I tend to over-use the rear brake. I find that if i carry a little rear brake through downhill turns it helps the bike to settle through the corner but in this case, with so many downhill turns i lost the rear altogether and had to make do with front and engine braking. Eventually the road opened up and i made my way into Jindabyne. I stopped here and got some groceries and fuel before heading west on The Alpine Way out past the snowfields of Thredbo and Perisher. I had planned to walk to the top of Kosciuszko but it was hot and it looked to be pretty underwhelming so i took some photos from the carpark and motored on.


Next it was over the western side of the Snowies toTom Groggin Station where i had a bit of a fish in the Thredbo River but decided to continue onto Geehi Flat and set up camp.

Geehi is a great spot with a lot of great camps along the river, i selected a nice grassy one with a big tree and set up there. There was a large mob of roos in attendance and i had seen a trout on my first trip to the river to get water for a cuppa.
After my cuppa i assembled my fishing rod and headed downstream. There was already a guy fishing on the first good pool and rapid who said he had pulled 2 fish from that particular run so i didn't like my chances of finding any more. i had a few casts and headed back upstream to fish. I ended up catching a nice healthy Brown Trout from right in front of my camp on a small Celta spinner.


Other trout i have caught from the New England area have had a grey coloured flesh and tasted prettty ordinary. this one on the other hand had bright pink flesh like a salmon and tasted delicious!



The Snowy Mountains has been awesome! i think i have time to stay around here another night maybe up near Lake Eucumbene....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy! Loved the stunning mountain scenery -- real picture postcard stuff!! Yes, I feel sad about the state of the Snowy River and 'environmental damage' fits the description to my way of thinking. That Brown Trout certainly looked tasty! Best wishes... Gladys, Western Australia...

    ReplyDelete