Monday 13 February 2012

Day 8 & 9 Eden to Snowy River

I have been out of range for both mobile and internet for the past few days, so i'll roll both days together.
Day 8 -  Got up early because i wanted to try and get some sunrise  pics on the beach. It was looking like a top day but unfortunately there was a thick band of cloud over the horizon. I took a lot of photos anyway as i went exploring the rocky foreshore. I found some interesting creatures and got some good shots


Back to camp for breaky and to pack up. the plan was to head back into Eden, get some more supplies and head to another national park a bit further south. I checked out Ben Boyds tower. This tower was used to spot whales at sea  so that whaling vessels could be sent out. I also checked out the site of the old whaling station. Such a picturesque place, hard to imagine that it was the site of such a horrible past.

I then went out exploring in the coastal bushland and met up with a local  bloke on an F800GS BMW,  He took me to some of the better tracks in the area, which was fun. We had a look at the Green cape lighthouse



We parted ways and i headed on to find the aforementioned National Park. It wasa nice ride of about 20km through the coastal heath on some sandy tracks which were hard work on the big girl with a full load on. Eventually i arrived at Bittangabee Bay campground and found a nice spot under some trees to set up.
There was a lot of wildlife around. A big fat old Goanna sat sunning himself only a few metres from my camp and there were several swamp Wallabies feeding nearby. I went exploring until dark and found some cool caves and rock formations on the headland to the north and enjoyed the passing of a storm


I got an early night and was disturbed many times during the night by possums, bandicoots and a VERY noisy Wombat who dug a massive hole near my tent during the night.
I was up early again in hope of getting that elusive sunrise photo, but again the horizon was shrouded in clouds.
Maybe next time




So i packed up with the intention of heading inland to Delegate, to McKillops Bridge and then north up the Barry Way toward the Snowies.
I took a lot of back roads on the way to Delegate, bypassing Bombala and i came across this really interesting little fella out near the township of Craigie
Big mean lizard!!!

He posed for my pics for a while and tried to scare me off with his very colourful tongue and bright  pink mouth. Once he realised i wasn't worried by his displays he moved on. I could have taken pics of him all day!!

Once past Delegate you soon cross the Victorian border


Then it's into some unreal tarmac twisties and into Bonang. I was needing fuel soonish and was deflated to find there was no fuel in Bonang and i would be touch and go to make it to Jindabyne with the fuel i had on board. I found a couple of old blokes at the town hall sorting the mail and they told me that idf i continued onto Tubbut there was a lady there that sold honey and petrol to underprepared motorists. I tookm the trip out to Tubbut, trying not to think what i'd do if the honey/petrol lady was not home. When i arrived a Tubbut  i found the lady and filled up at $1.84.9 a litre and motored on for Mckillops Bridge.

This ride is famous among Adventure riders and it was easy to see why, 150 + Km of great scenery and top notch dirt roads and no-one around for miles.I seen one car all afternoon and that was an old dude in an $80000ish VW Passat who nearly took me out on one of the many blind corners, What he was doing out there is beyond me! I also had my first encounter with an Emu here. I chased him up the road for a whilebefore backing off and letting him get off the track. The roads out here are a reddish colour and have a hard base with a fine gravel layer on top. There was a great combo of 'slip and grip' meaning i could let the bike slide through the corners and it tracked very predictably. Top stuff!!

Anyway, i travelled about half way up the Barry Way which runs right alongside the Snowy River for most of it's length and found a nice campsite in the sandy bed of the river. It's certainly very secluded out here. Beautiful country!!



So far the bike is performing faultlessly. She has developed a small oil leak but nothing serious. it feels like the bike is enjoying this riding as much as i am. It really feels at home on these windy mountain tracks.
Ayway, onto the Snowy region Tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying these blogs! You are very descriptive. Feels like I'm there....you know, except for the fun, relaxation and the actual being there! Lol stay safe xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy! Interesting reading and wonderful photos now the sky is blue again. Well worth enlarging to view, and it is great to see your appreciation of nature being captured by the camera. Well done... Gladys, Western Australia...

    ReplyDelete