Monday 6 February 2012

Day 2. Glenbawn to Bilpin

Day 2 started off bright and sunny. I got up early and went fishing again, and i again i seen a lot of fish but didn't catch any, so i went back to camp and cooked a quick breakfast as i packed up camp and was on the road by 9.30.
First up i had a bit of boring highway to do between Scone and Muswellbrook and then a few back roads to get to Putty road. There's not a lot of back tracks or dirt roads in this area because everything is a coal mine! Not very scenic, so no photos on this leg

The run up Putty Road made up for it though! What an awesome road to ride a bike on! A bit like the Oxley Highway but the road is in much better condition. The 640 sounded awesome echoing off the rock walls. Will have to ride this road again one day with an unloaded bike.




I pulled up at the halfway roadhouse on Putty Road. Unfortunately there's not much left of the roadhouse, just a burned out shell, but there's some really cool metal sculptures there.




The weather was starting to close in on me now as I headed into Colo, No rain yet but starting to cloud up. Here i took my first dirt roads of the day, sandy but not soft dirt meant that these tracks were a lot of fun.
Some spectacular sandstone cliffs and caves in this area too




I pulled up at Colo Heights Reserve at around 2 pm. There was a large undercover area with electric BBQs here. Even though it was early, I was tempted to setup camp here. I found the caretaker and he wanted $12 for me to camp. He also looked a bit like a serial killer so i decided to motor on.

The road out of there was unreal. I'm pretty much used to the extra weight of a loaded bike now so was able to have a bit of fun on the switchback on the way up the mountain.

The river at Colo Heights


About now it started to rain, HEAVY! i Found the first side track i could and pulled over to set up camp. I'm in a pretty dodgy spot. Stealth camping because there are houses nearby and i'm probably on somebodies property. It hasn't stopped raining since i got here . The forecast doesn't look too rosy either, but it's not all bad, I am dry and so is all of my stuff. ( I think.....) and i'll go to Jenolan caves tomorrow and maybe stay in a pub if it's still wet.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting rock formations and unique sculptures -- well worth photographing! That river at Colo Heights was high -- wonder if it flooded the crossing after all the rain over there.. Best wishes... Gladys, Western Australia...

    ReplyDelete